Iroquois Falls is not just another paper town – we are “The Garden Town of the North”. Our vibrant flower beds are spread over town for all to enjoy. We may have one primary industry but there is so much more to our little town.
We have so much to offer - golfing, swimming, fishing, camping, tennis, hockey, bowling, curling, and skating. Our summer festivals are top notch. The Porquis Blues Festival and Summer Paperfest bring people from all over the region to listen to great music. If you enjoy fishing, there are two fishing tournaments to choose from, the Annual Ice Fishing derby in March and the Search for Moby Pike tournament in June.
We are home to the Jr. A hockey team, the Abitibi Eskimos. They play throughout the winter at the Jus Jordan arena which is nicknamed the Igloo. Come out and join the Igloomaniacs and watch some great hockey.
Snowmobiling is still going strong. Our trails connect you with the surrounding areas as well as great scenery.
The local Pioneer Museum has a vast variety of our local history. Come visit and they will take you back in time. The Chamber of Commerce offers tours of our co-generation plant. They also host Garden Town Celebrations in August.
These are only a few things that we have to offer, there is so much more.
We not only have a great quality of life but affordable as well. We are only 45 minutes away from Timmins and our cost of living is much lower. More and more people are settling into our small community and commuting to work in other communities. Our low cost of living allows young people to afford luxuries such as ATV’s, boats and larger homes. We are close to nature but do not have to sacrifice any necessary services such as health care. We have a Family Health Team who will soon be moving into their new offices.
We are a proud community and our warm, friendly atmosphere shines through like no other. It’s a great place to live!
|Walking Labyrinth at Memorial Park
Parks & Picnic Sites
Anson Memorial Park (cornre of Anson Drive and Veteran Drive)
Devonshire Park (On Devonshire Ave., across from the Auberge MacDonald Guest Inn)
M.A.A. Park (Paradis Ave.)
Dr. Haskins and Dr. Hall Park (across from Anson General Hospital)
DeMaricourt Park (DeMaricourt Ave.)
O'Mara Park - Hwy 11 Just north of the municipal airport
Abitibi Golf Course - 705-258-3590
Abitibi Golf Course - photo by Dragonfly Spins
Open to Public * 9 Hole Golf Course * Green Fees * Club House
Earl Porter Lane BOWLING - 705-232-4656
GREAT Fun for the Whole Family!
Newly refinished facility features 6 lane bowling and snack bar.
Book your special events party here! Birthdays, Anniversary, Reunion, you name it!
Earl Porter Lanes is also home of the Iroquois Falls & District Chamber of Commerce, the Health Promotion Centre and Adult Learning Centre.
THE SHAY ENGINE
The Shay engine was built in 1924, at the Baldwin Lima Hamilton Corporation Works, Lima, Ohio.
The shay-geared class 70 three-truck locomotive 3298 was designed by Ephraim Shay for steep
grades, poor track, sharp curves, and the inferior engineering of North America's logging and mining
railroads. With the three vertical cylinders, the Shay locomotives were built for power and traction,
not speed. Their speeds averaged only 12 - 18 MPH. Our Shay 3298 (Number 70) was believed to
be the last working Shay in North America. It worked in the Iroquois Falls bush operations from
1947 to 1956, and in the mill yard until the mid 1970's. In the spring of 1979, the Shay was donated
to the Town of Iroquois Falls, and became a static display next to the old train station. It is now
situated in Anson Memorial Park where it has been restored.
THE PIONEER MUSEUM 705-258-3730
A Definite Must See!
Lake Abitibi Cultural Heritage Project (Artifacts) exhibits on display
Discover the history of Iroquois Falls
Open seasonally during the summer months
THE JORDAN ARTIFACT COLLECTION - 705-232-5722
Housed in the Iroquois Falls Public Library, there are over 1000 pieces and the collection is the 15th largest in the world. Some dated pre-aged historic and pre-historic.
Public Internet Access is also available.
HISTORICAL & SIGHT-SEEING TOURS - 705-232-4656
Iroquois Falls Power Corp. (Co-Generation Plant)
Located on the corner of DeTroyes Ave., and Teefy Street. This plaque is dedicated to a remarkable military expedition led by Chevalier Pierre Detroyes, The expedition passed through here in early June 1686
Sgt. Aubrey Cosens V.C.
Located in front of the Tourist Booth on highway 11. This plaque honours one of Ontario's Victoria Cross winners for extreme bravery. Aubrey Cosens, raised in Porquis Junction, was posthumously awarded the Commonwealth's highest dedication for valour.
Frank H. Anson Monument
Located in the Anson Park. This monument was erected by the Abitibi Pulp & Paper Company and the citizens of Iroquois Falls. It commemorates the founder of Abitibi-Consolidated Inc., and Iroquois Falls. Located in Devonshire Park.
|JUS JORDAN RECREATION CENTRE - 705-258-3436
THE HISTORIC GIBBENS AND DAVIS BOATS
Located at Anson Memorial Park: The Trueman Gibbens and the
Clark Davis Boats were transported from Owen Sound by train and
were assembled and launched in Lowbrush in 1947 and 1951
respectively. Specifically designed for work in the shallow waters of
Lake Abitibi of depths less than 10 feet, the boats used their 3000
pound anchors to move large tows exceeding 7000 cunits of wood.
These boats had an all steel construction, were 85 feet in length,
18 feet across the beam, and had a crew of ten men. They had drafts
of only 3 feet 6 inches. Their anchors were attached to 5000 feet of
1 1/8 inch cable. The boats would sail to an area selected by the
captains, drop anchor, hook their tows and then winch the log booms
to their anchors. These gigantic log booms would then journey by water
to the paper mill for pulp and paper production. The final year of service
for the boats was 1972, when a change in the company's cutting methods
meant that wood for the mill be transported by land instead of waterways.
VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK
Located on corner of Veterans Drive and Devonshire Avenue.
Veterans Memorial Park was built (2005-2009) as a tribute to the servicemen and women of Iroquois Falls who served in Canada's Armed Forces in the Boer War, World War I, World War II, Korea, Un, Nato.
It was made possible by the combined efforts of the town of Iroquois Fals, volunteers, many local contractors and businesses, and by the generous financial contributions of the families, friends and supporters of this tribute to Canadian veterans from this municipality.
Branch 70 of the Royal Canadian Legion has been honoured to develop this park as a lasting memorial to our comrades.
We will remember them.